Moerenuma Park [モエレ沼公園]
Moerenuma Park from the hill
Moerenuma Park is located about 9 km northeast of central Sapporo.
The park opened in 2005, and has some playground equipment and outdoor sports fields.
But, the greatest feature of this park is that there are the objects designed by Isamu Noguchi (1904-1988), a Japanese American artist.
Moerenuma is a bow-shaped lake that is formed when a meander of a river is cut off from the main channel.
The park is constructed inside U-shaped Moerenuma, and the width is about 1.5 km from east to west and about 0.8 kilometers from north to south.
Main objects in this park are the following.
- Glass Pyramid "HIDAMARI" : It is the symbol of this park.
It is the big building made of glass like a pyramid.
There are restaurant, gallery, and shop in the building.
- Sea Fountain : Larch trees are planted in a circle 80 meters in diameter, and a fountain is set up inside the trees.
The show of fountain is held several times a day.
- Forest of cherry trees : There are about 2,300 cherry trees.
In the forest, 126 play equipments designed by Isamu Noguchi are placed.
- Moere Beach : It is the place for playing with water.
It is designed like a beach.
- Play Mountain : It is an artificial mountain designed by Isamu Noguchi.
The height is 30 meters and the form is like very low pyramid.
- Mt. Moere : It is an artificial mountain like a hill.
The height is 52 meters.
The top is an observatory.
- Tetra Mound : It is a monument of round mound and three large stainless poles.
The space around the monument is used for various performance.
- Music Shell : It is a semi-spherical white object.
The space in front of the object is a stage for performance.
- Aqua Plaza & Canal : It is the square of watar and stones.
Water is springing out and flows into a canal.
Glass Pyramid "HIDAMARI"
Sea Fountain and Mt.Moere
Play equipments by Isamu Noguchi
Music Shell and Tetra Mound
A path in the park
How to get here
Get off at Kanjo-dori-higashi station of subway Toho line.
Then, by route bus, about 25 minutes to "Moerenuma-koen Higashi-guchi" (East entrance) stop, or "Moerenuma-koen Nishi-guchi" (West entrance) stop.
On the following days, the buses stops more convenient bus stop "Moerenuma-koen".
- On Satauraday, Sunday, and national holiday from April to November
- Everyday from mid-July to mid-August.